Thursday, August 5, 2010

LIVING IN THE PRESENT

Reality is only in the present. It is not in the past nor in the future. However, we find ourselves often living in the past or the future. Sometimes our past experiences may prevent us from experiencing the present moment. Some years ago, I was in Japan and stayed at a hotel which was famous for its seafood. Being fond of spicy seafood dishes which I was used to in Mumbai, I looked forward to some delicious seafood at the hotel. Searching through the menu I looked for something similar to my favorite dish in India. When the dish arrived, I tasted it and found it bland and disappointing. It did not have the taste I had in mind. After about 2 days I realized that I was not enjoying the seafood because I was looking for something that was similar to our Indian dishes! So the next time, I ordered the chef’s seafood speciality and when the dish arrived, I decided to be present to the taste of the dish without comparing it to the past memories. As I did that, I began to appreciate the delicacy that blended with the natural taste of the fish. Slowly I began appreciate that seafood dish and even began to enjoy it. Yet another thing that clutters our mind is the anxiety about the future. This can also prevent us from experiencing the present. We particularly notice this in our youth today who are studying for their exams. As they study they worry about so many things. Will I remember the stuff? Will I be able to complete my exam paper? Will there be tricky questions? What if I fail? Will I get a job later and so on. Their worries about the future prevent them from concentrating and focussing on their studies, which is the present moment. The future blocks the present. How much better off would these youth be if they could stay in the present moment and get their work done. The same formula applies to us too. Live in the Present.

1 comment:

  1. Reality calls us to live the present moments of our lives FRUITFULLY yet WISELY!!!

    ReplyDelete